Your roof plays an important role in protecting your home from the elements and because of this it will eventually need repairs and replacement. Because the roof isn’t easily visible from the ground we tend to forget about it when it comes to general maintenance around the house. There are many reasons for roof damage and roof failure so we’ve listed the top 7 causes for roof damage.
1. Poor Maintenance: As discussed above, our roof is one of the “out of sight, out of mind” sort of things. Homeowners who inspect their roof regularly are able to make small repairs before they can become a big problem.
2. Improperly Installed Roof: Unfortunately, not all roofing companies are alike so it is important to hire Memphis Roofers who are skilled at installing the type of roof you want. Most roofers know how to install asphalt shingles because they are the most common but without the experience, they can make mistakes that will cause the homeowner problems in the future. If a roof is installed improperly there is a chance that the manufacture warranties will become void, therefore it is imperative to hire a qualified local roofer. Never rush your roofer to complete a job during bad weather. If moisture is trapped in the roofing system it can cause premature failure.
3. Weather and Age: As soon as your roof is exposed to the sun, rain and wind it begins to deteriorate. The intense heat from the sun begins to dry out the roofing paper. Pounding rain and windstorms will begin to wear at the surface. The warm days and cool nights can cause dew and moisture to build up on the roofing system which over time can cause bubbling or blistering.
4. High Winds: Strong winds and severe storms can loosen the tiles. Once this happens the tiles will let rain water seep in under the tiles causing water leaks and damage to the roofing system. Small leaks can go undetected for years but just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean that your safe from problems. Water can rot the trusses over time and effect the structural integrity of your home.
5. Flashing Problems: Flashing is designed to create a water tight seal between roofing sections and around chimneys, pipes and other roof projections. Flashing problems can be caused by poor installation, inferior materials and aging. When flashing is damaged it will typically result in water leaking into the attic.
6. Mechanical Damage: Most homes have a variety of technologies mounted on their roof – a satellite dish, antennas, skylights and air conditioners. Each of these adds additional weight to the roof and each will need servicing at some point. Sometimes a repair man can cause a small break in the flashing which can become a bigger problem over time.
7. Falling Objects: During a storm, branches and debris from nearby buildings can land on your roof and cause minor damage that goes unnoticed. Letting these minor damages go unchecked can lead to bigger problems.
Detecting roof damage in the early stage can help prolong the life of your roof and help you avoid expensive repairs from water leaking into the attic of your home.